100ml pickle liquid
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
1 x 1.4kg chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
600g baby potatoes, halved lengthways
In a jug, stir together the buttermilk, pickle liquid, garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Place the chicken in a large sealable freezer bag. Ensuring that the opening of the bag is facing upwards to avoid spills, pour in the buttermilk mixture. Seal the bag securely and place in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place the chicken in a roasting tin, rub all over with the olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Arrange the potatoes around the chicken.
- Roast for one hour and 20 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and completely cooked throughout; the juices should run clear when the bird is pierced where the leg joins the body.
- Transfer to a board, tent loosely with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving with the baby potatoes and your choice of vegetables. Shred any leftover chicken and set aside for the chicken and gnocchi soup.
543kcals, 22.4g fat (5.3g saturated), 21.8g carbs (0.6g sugars), 62.4g protein, 4.9g fibre, 0.356g sodium