Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
80g unsalted butter, softened
280g caster sugar
240g self raising flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the meringue:
3 eggs, separated
175g caster sugar
Brunch ice creams
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the dry ingredients and the butter together until a sandy texture.
- In a jug, whisk the milk, vanilla and eggs together, slowly stream into the butter mix to form a smooth batter. Spoon the batter in the lined cupcake tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Once baked allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, scrape the brunch ice cream off the sticks. Scoop a ball of the ice cream onto the top of the cupcakes and freeze.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the caster sugar one tablespoon at a time, whisking between each addition. The meringue is done when you can hold the mixing bowl upside down and stays in the bowl.
- Preheat the grill to a high heat.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the meringue over the ice-cream to completely cover it. Place on a baking tray and toast under the grill until golden brown. This can only take a couple of seconds so be sure to keep an eye on it as it can burn easily.
Per serving: 299kcals, 7.9g fat (4.3g saturated), 54g carbs (38.7g sugars), 5.1g protein, 0.5g fibre, 0.178g sodium