Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
80g unsalted butter, softened
280g caster sugar
240g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the meringue:
3 eggs, separated
175g caster sugar
Brunch ice creams
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the dry ingredients and the butter together to form a sandy texture.
- In a jug, whisk the milk, vanilla and eggs together, slowly stream into the butter mix to form a smooth batter. Spoon the batter in the lined cupcake tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, scrape the Brunch ice cream off the sticks. Scoop a ball of the ice cream onto the top of the cupcakes and freeze.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the caster sugar one tablespoon at a time, whisking between each addition. The meringue is done when you can hold the mixing bowl upside down and stays in the bowl.
- Preheat the grill to a high heat.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the meringue over the ice cream to completely cover it. Place on a baking tray and toast under the grill until golden brown. This can only take a couple of seconds, so keep an eye on it as it can burn easily.
Per serving 299kcals, 7.9g fat (4.3g saturated), 54g carbs (38.7g sugars), 5.1g protein, 0.5g fibre, 0.178g sodium