2 tsp sesame oil
1 red onion, sliced
200g firm tofu, sliced ½cm thick
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
600g cooked brown rice, chilled overnight
2 tsp sambal oelek or sriracha hot sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp ketjap manis
1 large carrot, grated
¼ head of green cabbage, shredded
½ head of broccoli, finely chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
To garnish (optional but recommended!):
Large handful of fresh coriander, chopped
Spring onions, sliced
Unsalted roasted peanuts, crushed
Fresh red chillies, sliced
Lime wedges, for squeezing
Sriracha hot sauce
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok or non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until just beginning to colour. Add the tofu and cook until crispy and golden on all sides. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for one minute.
- Add the chilled rice, sambal oelek, soy sauce, ketjap manis and vegetables. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are just cooked through but still crunchy.
- Add the vegetable oil to a separate large non-stick pan over a medium-high heat. Add the eggs and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until cooked to your liking, spooning the hot oil over the top of the eggs to help cook the white.
- Divide the rice between serving bowls and top each portion with a fried egg. Add as many garnishes as desired and serve immediately.
Per serving: 884kcals, 23.2g fat (4.9g saturated), 144.8 carbs, 4.9g sugars, 25g protein, 8.1g fibre, 0.224g sodium
TOP TIP: Ketjap manis is a sweetened Indonesian soy sauce. If you can’t find it in your local Asian supermarket, it’s easy to make your own: combine 60ml soy sauce with 4 tbsp brown sugar in a pan over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer and reduce until it becomes syrupy, then allow to cool.