Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
To garnish (optional but recommended!):
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok or non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until just beginning to colour. Add the tofu and cook until crispy and golden on all sides. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for one minute.
- Add the chilled rice, sambal oelek, soy sauce, ketjap manis and vegetables. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are just cooked through but still crunchy.
- Add the vegetable oil to a separate large non-stick pan over a medium-high heat. Add the eggs and turn the heat down to medium. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until cooked to your liking, spooning the hot oil over the top of the eggs to help cook the white.
- Divide the rice between serving bowls and top each portion with a fried egg. Add as many garnishes as desired and serve immediately.
Note: sriracha hot sauce can be used as an alternative to sambal oelek, if you wish.
Per serving: 884kcals, 23.2g fat (4.9g saturated), 144.8 carbs, 4.9g sugars, 25g protein, 8.1g fibre, 0.224g sodium
TOP TIP: Ketjap manis is a sweetened Indonesian soy sauce. If you can’t find it in your local Asian supermarket, it’s easy to make your own: combine 60ml soy sauce with 4 tbsp brown sugar in a pan over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer and reduce until it becomes syrupy, then allow to cool.
Dairy-freeDinnerLow sugarMeat-freeBreakfast & BrunchCholesterol-friendly recipesLunch & snacks30-minute mealsLow-fatHigh-proteinFamily mealsQuick and easyBudget mealsComfort foodMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Dairy-free
Tom yum soup with prawns