Makes about 12
For the spicy tomato dip:
1 tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 tsp dried chilli flakes
Salt and black pepper
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
Pinch of sugar
Small knob of butter
For the Cheddar sticks:
1 tbsp milk
Salt and black pepper
4 tbsp plain flour
2 x 200g blocks of Kilmeaden Mature Cheddar, each cut into six sticks
Vegetable oil, for cooking
- For the dip, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt and cook for 2-3 minutes until the garlic is lightly golden, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, oregano and sugar. Turn the heat to medium and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until thickened to your liking, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Add salt and pepper to taste, then set aside until ready to serve.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a shallow bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Place the flour in a second shallow bowl and the breadcrumbs in a third.
- Working one at a time, dip each piece of Cheddar into the egg mixture, then dredge in the flour. Return to coat in the egg mixture, then roll in the breadcrumbs, pressing them on to coat completely. Dip in the egg one more time, then coat in the breadcrumbs again. Place the coated Cheddar sticks on the prepared baking tray.
- When all of the sticks have been coated, place the tray in the freezer for one hour.
- Coat the bottom of a large pan with about ½cm vegetable oil and place over a medium-high heat. The oil is hot enough when a breadcrumb added to the oil sizzles immediately.
- Working in two batches to avoid crowding the pan, cook the Cheddar sticks for about a minute on each side or until golden-brown. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the remaining sticks. Add more oil to the pan as necessary, making sure it’s hot enough before you add the second batch.
- Serve with the spicy tomato sauce for dipping.
Per 3-stick serving:
562kcals, 30.4g fat (9.9g saturated), 35.8g carbs (5.6g sugars), 36.3g protein, 3g fibre, 0.993g sodium