Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Melt the butter in a large pan with a lid over a medium heat. Cook the shallots for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Remove any damaged outer leaves from the heads of lettuce and trim the bases. Cut the lettuces in half lengthways, through the base.
- Place the pieces of lettuce cut-side up on top of the shallots and cook for 30 seconds, then flip them over and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Pour over the stock and season with black pepper. Put the lid on the pan, turn the heat to low and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to lift the pieces of lettuce out. Place them into a sieve over a bowl and allow to drain.
- Increase the heat under the pan and boil the stock until reduced by half. Add the petits pois and lemon juice and cook for one minute. Stir in the cream and cook for 30 seconds, then taste and season if necessary (be sparing with the salt, as the stock is already salty).
- Slice the lettuce and serve topped with the creamy peas and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
Note: vegetable stock can be used as an alternative to chicken stock, if you wish.
Per serving: 157kcals, 5.5g fat (3.1g saturated), 21g carbs, 7.8g sugars, 7.1g protein, 6.4g fibre, 0.207g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
For a dairy-free version, replace the butter with olive oil and omit the cream and Parmesan – it will still be very tasty!