Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5.
- Combine the flour with some salt and pepper in a large sealable bag. Add the lamb shanks and mix to lightly coat.
- Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat and brown the lamb shanks on all sides, turning with tongs.
- Place the shanks in a large ovenproof pot with a lid. Add the garlic and bay leaves.
- Reduce the pan to a medium heat and add the remaining oil. Cook the onions and rosemary for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- Add the red wine to the pan and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook for 5-6 minutes, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan, until the mixture is slightly syrupy. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the red wine and onion mixture over the lamb shanks and sprinkle with the thyme. Add the beef stock.
- Place in the oven and cook for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Remove the lamb shanks to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Simmer the sauce on the hob for 10 minutes until reduced, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the lamb shanks with the red wine sauce and plenty of creamy mashed potato.
Popular in One-pot
One-pot prawn jambalaya