Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5.
- Combine the flour with some salt and pepper in a large sealable bag. Add the lamb shanks and mix to lightly coat.
- Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat and brown the lamb shanks on all sides, turning with tongs.
- Add the garlic and bay.
- Reduce the pan to a medium heat and add the remaining oil. Cook the onions and rosemary for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- Add the red wine to the pan and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook for 5-6 minutes, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan, until the mixture is slightly syrupy. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the red wine and onion mixture over the lamb shanks and sprinkle with the thyme. Add the beef stock.
- Place in the oven and cook for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Remove the lamb shanks to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Simmer the sauce on the hob for 10 minutes until reduced, seasoning to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve the lamb shanks with the red wine sauce and plenty of creamy mashed potato.
Per serving: 440kcals, 18.3g fat (5.4g saturated), 13.8g carbs, 1.4g sugars, 45.2g protein, 1.2g fibre, 0.542g sodium
Popular in Gluten-free
Gluten-free chocolate and honeycomb mousse by EUROSPAR