Sicín Sásta know that great tasting chicken is no accident! Try a delicious, hearty Sicín Sásta recipe that’s full on flavour. This tasty, 100% Irish chicken is raised with grá, and grown slowly at nature’s pace. There’s no doubt Sicín Sásta’s flavourful, quality, grain-fed chicken is worth crossing the aisle for this Christmas!
1.5kg Sicín Sásta Whole Chicken (spatchcocked)
3 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt flakes and black pepper
For the glaze:
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp barbecue sauce
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Frank’s hot sauce (or equivalent)
For the stuffing:
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp sea salt flakes
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
5 leaves fresh sage, finely chopped
1 onion, finely diced
2 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and diced
- For the glaze, melt the butter, sugar and maple syrup in a small saucepan over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has melted.
- Add the bourbon, barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and simmer until the glaze has thickened and looks syrupy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the stuffing, toss the breadcrumbs, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper and sage in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté gently until soft and translucent. Add the diced apples and cook for one minute longer.
- Add the onion and apples to the breadcrumb mixture and toss very well. Transfer to a baking dish and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Place the spatchcocked chicken in a large roasting tin. Drizzle over the olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes, then remove from the oven and brush half of the glaze over the chicken. Return the chicken to the oven along with the stuffing.
- Roast for further 20 minutes, brushing the chicken with the remaining glaze. Finish roasting for a final 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cover the chicken loosely with tin foil and leave to rest for about 10 minutes before serving with the stuffing.
Per serving 413kcals, 25.9g fat (12.2g saturated), 7.4g carbs (2.3g sugars), 33.5g protein, 1.2g fibre, 0.27g sodium