For the cake:
400g unsalted butter, softened
200g light brown sugar
200g dark brown sugar
400g self-raising flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
For the buttercream:
500g icing sugar
250g unsalted butter, softened
300g Biscoff spread
Large pack of Biscoff biscuits
Edible gold paint
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Line four 20cm cake tins with nonstick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Fold in the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and milk until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow the sponges to cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat together the icing sugar, unsalted butter and Biscoff spread until smooth.
- To assemble the cake, place the first sponge layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread over some of the buttercream and place the next sponge on top. Continue to stack and spread each of the sponges.
- Use a palette knife or offset spatula to spread the buttercream over the top and sides of the cake, making sure to fill in any gaps. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to set.
- For the ‘fault line’ effect, press broken up Biscoff bisucits into the buttercream, alternating them so that they fit next to each other perfectly.
- Add a thick layer of buttercream to the top and bottom of the cake, leaving the biscuits exposed, and using a cake scraper or large spatula, smooth out the buttercream. You want the buttercream to be thick so you don’t scrape off the biscuits. Reserve some of the buttercream to pipe swirls on the top of the cake.
- Place the cake in the fridge until firm.
- Paint the edges of the buttercream (the fault lines) with edible gold (optional).
- Spoon the remaining buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star-shaped nozzle. Pipe swirls of buttercream around the top edges of the cake.
- Stick the Biscoff biscuits in between the piped swirl to finish.
Per Serving 940kcals, 51.5g fat (27.8g saturated), 112.9g carbs (77.5g sugars), 8.3g protein, 1.4g fibre, 0.369g sodium