2 tbsp olive oil
1.5kg chuck steak or stewing beef, trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes
Salt and black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato purée
440ml stout beer
2 beef stock cubes, crumbled
1 carrot, chopped
200g button mushrooms, quartered
1 dried bay leaf
1 x sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Heat a bit of the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat. Season the meat and add to the pan in batches, cooking for a couple minutes to brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, for five minutes until soft.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomato purée and stir until everything is coated.
- Pour in the stout, scraping up any of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the stock cubes, then add the beef back into the pan.
- Cover with a lid and bring to a simmer over a low heat. Cook, covered, for one hour.
- Add the carrot, mushrooms and bay leaf and cook for another hour until the meat is tender.
- Remove the lid and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5. Divide the mixture between six individual dishes (or add to one large baking dish).
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut out six circles for the tops of the dishes.
- Brush the edges of the dishes with a bit of the beaten egg, then seal the pastry lids to the dishes. Brush more of the egg over the top, then sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Place the dishes on a large baking tray. Bake the pies for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
Per serving: 888kcals, 47.1g fat (13.3g saturated), 38.2g carbs, 3.2g sugars, 70.4g protein, 2.5g fibre, 0.331g sodium