Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil over a high heat and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk over a medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Melt the butter in another pot over a medium heat. Turn the heat to low and add the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon to form a paste. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring continually, until golden in colour.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the milk, a little at a time, whisking vigorously.
- Once fully combined, return the pan to a medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon for another 5-8 minutes or until the sauce is smooth and thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Season to taste.
- Turn the heat to low. Add the Cheddar and Parmesan and stir until melted
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium-high heat and cook the lardons for 4-5 minutes until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Fold the drained pasta into the cheese sauce.
- In the pan used to cook the bacon, heat three tablespoons of the pesto over a medium-high heat. Fry 2-3 eggs at a time until the whites are set and the yolks are runny, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the pan and cook the remaining eggs.
- Spoon the mac ‘n’ cheese into serving bowls and drizzle over the remaining pesto. Top each portion with a pesto egg and sprinkle over the crispy lardons.
DinnerFreezer-friendlyPastaDinnerAmericanKidsFamily mealsCuisinesQuick and easyBudget mealsComfort food
Popular in Pasta
No-waste broccoli pesto pasta