2.5kg rib of beef
1 tsp plain flour
1 tsp mustard powder
30g beef dripping, lard or vegetable oil
- Remove the beef from the oven 30-45 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 240 ̊C/220 ̊C fan/gas mark 9. In a small bowl, stir together the flour and mustard powder.
- Score the fat of the beef in a criss-cross pattern using a sharp knife, then rub in the flour mixture and season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the beef, fat side down, into a large roasting tin. Roast for 20 minutes, then turn down the heat to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5.
- Roast for one hour and 40 minutes longer for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking, bearing in mind that the meat will continue to cook as it rests. Turn the beef over halfway through the cooking time.
- Transfer to a large plate, tent loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 30 minutes before carving.
475kcals, 15.9g fat (6g saturated), 0.4g carbs (0g sugars), 77.1g protein, 0.1g fibre, 0.167g sodium