800g potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
½ an onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
2-3 tsp hot sauce
Fresh parsley (optional)
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil and cook the potatoes for 6-8 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 230˚C/210˚C fan/gas mark 8.
- Drain the potatoes thoroughly and return the pan to the heat to allow them to steam dry for 1-2 minutes, shaking the pan often. Place the potatoes on a baking tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and add a generous sprinkling of sea salt and garlic powder. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through, tossing once halfway through.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic with a good pinch of salt and cook, stirring, for 7-8 minutes until translucent and fragrant. If the mixture begins to brown, reduce the heat to low and stir frequently.
- Add the paprika, cayenne pepper and one teaspoon of garlic powder and stir to combine. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and hot sauce and stir. Simmer gently for 10-12 minutes, reducing the heat if it begins to bubble too vigorously. Taste and add more salt, pepper, hot sauce or garlic powder as preferred.
- Use a stick blender to whizz the sauce until smooth.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and season to taste. Transfer to serving dishes and drizzle with the tomato sauce, topping with fresh parsley if desired.
Per serving: 267kcals, 11g fat (1.6g saturated), 40.1g carbs, 6.9g sugars, 5.2g protein, 6.9g fibre, 0.16g sodium
Make this a simple supper by adding one or two fried eggs per person! Or, try it with this spicy halloumi and cauliflower frittata