For the rarebit sauce:
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
80g mature Cheddar, grated
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
Salt and black pepper
For the fish:
1 garlic clove, crushed
500g cherry tomatoes, halved
800g baby spinach leaves
4 smoked or fresh white fish fillets, skinned
40g Cheddar, grated
Baby potatoes, boiled or roasted
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5.
- For the rarebit sauce, melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in the flour and Worcestershire sauce and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until well combined and smooth. Turn the heat to medium-high and slowly bring to the boil, whisking constantly. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then mix in the grated cheese and mustard, season and set aside.
- For the fish, melt half of the butter in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and toss them in the garlic butter for one minute. Transfer into the base of a baking dish and spread out in an even layer.
- Melt the remaining butter in the same pan over a high heat and add the spinach. Cook until just wilted, then transfer to a colander and squeeze out any excess liquid. Arrange the spinach evenly over the tomatoes in the baking dish and season generously with black pepper. Place the fish fillets on top.
- Heat the rarebit sauce over a medium-high heat. Spread the sauce evenly over the fish until completely covered, then sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the fish is completely cooked throughout and the sauce is browned and bubbling. Serve with baby potatoes.
Per serving: 600kcals, 33.6g fat (14.9g saturated), 20.5g carbs, 9.5g sugars, 56g protein, 6.2g fibre, 0.727g sodium