Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the sponge
For the coffee syrup
For the cocoa crumble
For the mascarpone icing
For the ganache drip
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/170oC fan/gas mark 5. Grease and line four 20cm cake tins with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt, and mix on low speed until sandy in texture. Whisk together the cream, vanilla and eggs. Slowly pour the liquid into the dry ingredients, and beat the batter until smooth and light.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cake tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- For the cocoa crumble, mix all the ingredients together and spread evenly onto a lined baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool fully.
- To make the coffee syrup, stir the hot espresso and sugar until dissolved. Add the Baileys, stir, and leave to cool fully.
- To make the mascarpone icing, beat the butter, cream cheese and mascarpone slowly until smooth. Gradually add in icing sugar, vanilla and Baileys, and mix until thick and silky.
- To assemble the cake, make a collar that is the same circumference as the cake tin out of double folded baking paper (or acetate) and insert it into a springform tin the same size as the sponges. Place the first layer into the bottom of the tin. Brush super generously with the syrup (don’t be afraid to really soak it). Smooth out a layer of icing to cover the base, and sprinkle with the cocoa crumble. Repeat this process until all cake layers have been used. Ensure each layer is pressed down firmly. Finish the cake with a layer of icing and cocoa crumble.
- Refrigerate for at least six hours or overnight until the icing is firm.
- To make the ganache drip, add the chocolate to a large bowl. Heat the cream over a low heat until it starts to bubble, pour it over the chocolate, and let sit for 30 seconds. Whisk until smooth.
- Using a teaspoon, gently add drips around the edge of the cake, filling in the entire top layer. Place the cake in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to set.
- Unmould the cake by peeling off the collar. Pour chocolate sauce over the top of the cake and dust with icing sugar and cocoa powder.
Per serving 804kcals, 34.1g fat (20.9g saturated), 118.7g carbs (89.1g sugars), 8.5g protein, 1.7g fibre, 0.245g sodium