Serves 12-14 with leftovers
Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Place the ham in a large pot.
- Cover with the poaching liquid (we used orange juice).
- Add the aromatics.
- Bring slowly to a boil, skimming off any white foam from the surface. Simmer gently for about two hours until cooked through.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Place the oven rack at its lowest position. Remove the ham from its liquid and allow to cool slightly. Place the ham in a roasting tin and use a small sharp knife to strip off the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat attached to the meat.
- Score the fat in a diamond pattern, being careful not to cut into the meat. In a bowl, mix together the glaze ingredients and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Brush the glaze thickly over the ham.
- Stud the intersections with cloves. Bake the ham for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Baste the ham every 20 minutes with the glaze.
- Increase the heat to 220˚C/200˚C/gas mark 7 and cook for a final 20 minutes without opening the oven. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before serving.
Per Serving 343kcals, 16.9g fat (5.8g saturated), 13.4g carbs, 5.6g sugars, 32.6g protein, 2.5g fibre, 2.561g sodium
Gluten-freeIrishDairy-freeChristmasDinnerSpecial OccasionsFamily mealsCuisinesDinner partyBudget mealsMake it Healthy
Popular in Gluten-free
Roast leg of lamb with spring vegetables