2 aubergines, cut into roughly 2cm-thick rounds
4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
Sea salt and black pepper
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
200g courgettes, grated
50g cashew nuts, toasted and chopped
300g plain yoghurt
Zest of 1 lemon
50g pecorino, grated
2 eggs, separated
50g fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Line two large baking trays with parchment paper. Line a 21cm cake tin with parchment paper and brush with oil.
- In a bowl, stir the aubergine slices with two tablespoons of the oil, sea salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Spread out the prepared baking trays in an even layer. Roast for 20
minutes or until golden-brown.
- Set aside to cool, then arrange the aubergine slices in a spiral in the base of the prepared cake tin, slightly overlapping and covering the full base.
- Turn the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Heat the remaining oil in a pan over a medium heat, then cook the onion for 5-6 minutes until soft and lightly golden-brown. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for one minute longer, then transfer to a large bowl and add the grated courgette, cashews, yoghurt, lemon zest, grated cheese, egg yolks, breadcrumbs and some salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then gently fold them into the mixture until just combined. Spoon the mixture over the aubergine in the cake tin.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until golden-brown, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Release the cake from its tin and carefully flip over onto a plate, so the aubergines are now on top. Remove the parchment paper and serve.
Per Serving 239kcals, 15.6g fat (4.2g saturated), 19.1g carbs (7.8g sugars), 8.8g protein, 6g fibre, 0.391g sodium