Makes 1 loaf
250g asparagus spears, chopped into quarters
200g self-raising flour
2 tbsp chives, snipped
Salt and black pepper
3 large eggs, beaten
80ml olive oil, plus extra for greasing
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
80g sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
100g cooked ham, roughly chopped
100g mature Cheddar, grated
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C/gas mark 5. Grease and line the base of a 900g loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Bring a pan of salted water to a boil over a high heat. Add the asparagus and cook for two minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl of iced water. Allow to cool, then remove and pat completely dry with kitchen paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, chives and some salt and pepper. In a jug, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and mustard.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Gradually add the egg mixture, beating it in to form a smooth batter.
- Set aside three of the asparagus tips to decorate. Stir the remaining asparagus pieces into the batter, along with the tomatoes, ham and three quarters of the Cheddar.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin, then sprinkle with the reserved Cheddar and place the reserved asparagus tips on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and crusty on top. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
Per slice 181kcals, 10g fat (2.1g saturated), 16.1g carbs (0.9g sugars), 7.6g protein, 1.4g fibre, 0.223g sodium