Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the icing:
For the stewed apple topping:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease two round 20cm cake tins and line with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla until blended.
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir into the butter mixture until blended.
- Place the apples in a food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds, or until the mixture resembles chunky apple sauce. Add a splash of water if needed.
- Stir the apples into the rest of the ingredients. Divide the batter between the tins and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter for the icing until creamy. Gradually beat in the icing sugar and cinnamon until blended. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Spread half of the icing over one of the cakes, then top with the other cake and spread the rest of the icing over the top.
- For the topping, place the apples in a saucepan with the cinnamon. Cook over a medium heat for 12-15 minutes until the apples are soft. Stir in the caramel, then remove from the heat and allow to cool before topping the cake.
Per Serving 629kcals, 25.6g fat (15.5g saturated), 96.9g carbs, 67.9g sugars, 7.4g protein, 3.9g fibre, 0.651g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Passionfruit meringue gateaux