Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the caramel sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a rectangular baking dish (approx. 27 x 20cm) with some butter.
- Peel, core and chop up the apples, then squeeze over the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Put the butter, caster sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well until smooth. Add the apples and walnuts and stir to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- While the cake is baking, make your sauce. Place the sugar in a heavy-based frying pan and stir in the water, then place over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and allow to bubble for 4-5 minutes until you have caramel.
- Take off the heat, then carefully whisk in the cream and butter. Return to the heat for two minutes, whisking constantly. Leave the sauce to cool slightly before using.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the apple and walnut bake and serve warm.
Per serving 798kcals, 38.9g fat (19.4g saturated), 108.1g carbs (70.6g sugars), 10.9g protein, 3.8g fibre, 0.237g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Passionfruit meringue gateaux