Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the sponge:
For the After Eight buttercream filling:
For the mint chocolate icing:
For the ganache:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4. Line four 20cm cake tins with non-stick parchment paper.
- To make the sponge, place all of the ingredients except for the boiling water into a large bowl. Beat together until the mixture is just combined.
- Add the boiling water, a little at a time, mixing and scraping down the sides after each addition.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat together the icing sugar and butter until smooth. Add in the chopped After Eights and beat until they are evenly mixed through.
- Place the first sponge layer on a cake stand or serving plate.
- Spread over some of the buttercream and add the next sponge on top. Continue to stack and fill each of the sponges.
- To make the icing, beat together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and unsalted butter until smooth. Add the melted mint chocolate and beat until smooth.
- Use a palette knife or offset spatula to spread the buttercream over the top and sides of the cake, making sure to fill in any gaps. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to set.
- Once set, spread over more buttercream to cover any crumbs and smooth the icing; reserve some of the buttercream to pipe swirls on the top. Allow the cake to sit in the freezer or fridge until set and cold.
- To make the ganache, boil the cream in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the chopped dark chocolate, remove from the heat and allow to sit until melted. Stir together until very smooth.
- Place the cake on a wire rack, sitting over a baking tray. Pour the ganache over until completely covered. Allow the ganache to set for about five minutes.
- Using a star nozzle, pipe swirls of the mint chocolate buttercream icing around the top edges.
- Stick the After Eights between the piped swirls, then top each swirl of icing with a fresh mint leaf.
Per Serving: 586kcals, 28.9g fat (15.7g saturated), 81.3g carbs (66.5g sugars), 5g protein, 2.9g fibre, 0.486g sodium
Popular in Birthday
Pizza cookie cake