Makes 2 loaves
500g strong flour
7g dried yeast
200g warm water
- In a large bowl, sieve together the flour and salt. Use your fingers to rub in the butter, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Use a dough hook attachment and mix on a slow speed for five minutes. Increase the speed of the mixer and mix for eight minutes.
- Add the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover with cling film and allow to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Tip the proved dough onto a floured surface and knock back slightly. Place the dough back into the bowl, cover and allow to prove for a further 10 minutes.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into eight even pieces. Keep the dough covered with cling film as you are weighing.
- Roll each piece of dough into a long sausage shape. Start by rolling out a piece of dough to create a sausage shape, rolling the dough back and forth with both hands. Angle your hands while rolling so the centre is slightly thicker and the ends are tapered.
- Repeat this step for all your pieces of dough, keeping all of your dough covered throughout.
- To plait your bread, lay four strands of dough on your work surface leaving space between each strand. Pinch the top of the strands to stick them together. To do a four-strand plait:
- Cross strand 4 over strand 2
- Cross strand 1 over strand 3
- Cross strand 2 over strand 3
- Repeat until all of the dough is plaited.
- Place the dough on a lined baking tray, cover with cling film and allow to prove for 40-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/ gas mark 6.
- Brush the loaf with beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Per Serving 168kcals, 3g fat (1.3g saturated), 31.1g carbs (0.1g sugars), 5.7g protein, 1.4g fibre, 0.344g sodium