1 tbsp olive oil
500g beef mince
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp tomato purée
Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
480ml beef stock
350ml tomato passata
Pinch of sugar
300g penne (or other short pasta)
300g Cheddar, Mozzarella or a combination, grated
Salt and black pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the beef mince and cook for 4-5 minutes until thoroughly browned, using a wooden spoon to break up any lumps. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add the onions, pepper and garlic and cook for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato purée, chilli flakes (if using) and Italian seasoning and stir to combine. Add the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes until wilted.
- Add the milk, cream, beef stock, passata and sugar and stir to combine. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil, then add the pasta. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently, until the pasta is cooked through and the mixture is thickened.
- Add the cheese, stirring well to combine everything into a creamy, cheesy mixture. Taste and add salt and black pepper as needed. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Per serving: 364kcals, 10.4g fat (4.1g saturated), 29.6g carbs, 4g sugars, 35.6g protein, 1.4g fibre, 0.529g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
If you don’t have Italian seasoning, use half a teaspoon each of dried basil and oregano. If you want, you can transfer the finished mixture to a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and bake at 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 for 10-15 minutes until the top is golden and crunchy.