150g plain flour
25g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
90g butter, at room temperature
175g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract (optional)
Zest of 1 lemon
For the glaze:
100g blackberries, plus extra to decorate
1 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp lemon juice
200g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a loaf tin and line with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, almonds, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Beat in the extracts and lemon zest.
- Alternate beating in the flour and milk, starting with the flour. Mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, mash the blackberries with a fork in a bowl. Stir in the caster sugar and lemon juice and leave to sit for 10 minutes until the berries have released their juices.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve, discarding the pulp. Whisk in the enough of the icing sugar until a glaze forms.
- Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool completely. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and decorate with extra blackberries.
Per serving: 272kcals, 9.9g fat (5.2g saturated), 43.6g carbs, 30.3g sugars, 4g protein, 1.8g fibre, 0.188g sodium