Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Place the dried ceps in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 20 minutes until rehydrated.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Melt half of the butter with the oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, cook the mushrooms for 4-5 minutes until lightly golden. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the same pan over a medium-low heat. Cook the fennel, shallots, garlic, thyme and umami powder with a pinch of salt and plenty of black pepper for 6-8 minutes until softened.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the wine, sherry or vermouth. Allow to bubble for 2-3 minutes until almost completely evaporated, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom using a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the mustard and flour and stir for 2-3 minutes longer.
- Drain the dried ceps, reserving the liquid. Add the liquid to the pan, then gradually whisk in the milk, stock and mushroom ketchup. Simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, then add the Cooleeney and stir until melted.
- Chop the ceps and add to the sauce along with the sautéed mushrooms. Taste and add extra seasoning if desired, being aware that the stock, umami powder and mushroom ketchup are already salty.
- Transfer the mixture into a 20cm square baking dish.
- Roll out the pastry to fit your dish. Top the dish with the pastry and trim to a 2-3cm overhang. Tuck the overhang in, crimping the edges. Use the tip of a sharp knife to poke 1-2 holes in the top. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Place the pie on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is a deep golden brown. Allow to sit for five minutes, then slice and serve with some mixed leaves or green vegetables.
Note: Green vegetables can be used as an alternative to Mixed leaves, if you wish.
Per Serving: 679kcals, 47.6g fat (15.9g saturated), 45.5g carbs (5.3g sugars), 19.8g protein, 4.3g fibre, 0.614g fibre
TOP TIP: You can make this without the mushroom ketchup and umami powder if preferred.