1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
Mixture of fresh bay leaves, sprigs of thyme and rosemary depending on personal preference
2 tbsp port
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp Marmite (optional)
1½l vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped vegetables and the fresh herbs and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the port and balsamic vinegar and allow to bubble for five minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the flour, then add the tomato purée and the Marmite, if using.
- Pour in the stock, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until thickened and reduced.
- Pass the gravy through a sieve into large, clean pan, using a spoon to squeeze out all those delicious flavours. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Per Serving 81kcals, 2.4g fat (0.3g saturated), 12.2g carbs (6.6g sugars), 1g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.652g sodium