For the mash:
1.2kg Maris Piper or Rooster potatoes
100ml oat cream
Sea salt and black pepper
100g dairy-free butter
150g kale or spinach, shredded
For the filling:
400g chestnut mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 sticks of celery, finely diced
1 leek, diced
2 carrots, chopped into a chunky dice
3 garlic cloves, crushed
Few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves chopped
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
100ml vegan red wine
1 vegan stock cube, dissolved in 150ml hot water
1 x 400g tin of lentils (we used black Beluga lentils)
Small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Peel and chop all the potatoes into rough 2-inch chunks. Place them into a large pot of cold, salted water over a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- Drain and leave to steam dry, then return to the pan with the oat cream and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Mash until smooth, then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the shredded kale or spinach and sauté until soft. Add to the mash and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the mushrooms, or use a food processer to blitz to a breadcrumb consistency and set aside. It is best to do this in small batches to avoid mushy mushrooms.
- Heat the oil a large pan. Add the onion, celery, leek and carrots and sauté for 5-10 minutes until the carrots start to soften.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, crushed garlic, thyme and rosemary leaves. Cook until they are softened and the liquid has nearly fully evaporated.
- Add the remaining ingredients (aside from the parsley) and increase the heat to bring it to a simmer. Bubble away for 30 minutes or until thickened and reduced.
- Stir the parsley into the pan. Season to taste, then transfer to a baking dish. Spread the mash over the top.
- Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes, or until piping hot throughout.
Per serving: 468kcals, 15.1g fat (7.4g saturated), 64.8g carbs (7.1g sugars), 18.7g protein, 20.7g fibre, 0.414g sodium