For the onion jam
2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
2 red onions, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
Salt and black pepper
50g caster sugar
20ml red wine vinegar
For the parsley pesto
60g flat leaf parsley, (roughly 2 large handfuls)
1 tbsp toasted pine nuts, or cashew nuts
Juice of half a lemon
1 garlic clove
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
To prepare the nut loaf
4 slices of leftover nut loaf
100g vegan cheese
4 slices of sourdough bread
2 tbsp vegan mayo
2 handfuls of kale, shredded
- Set a pan over a low heat and add the oil, onions, garlic, thyme and a pinch of salt and black pepper, and cook until the onions are soft and sticky but not browned.
- Add the sugar and vinegar and continue to cook until the onions reach a sticky jam-like consistency. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- To make the pesto, place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6. Place the nut loaf slices on a lined tray and heat them in the oven for five minutes. Top the slices with the vegan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is fully melted.
- Spread the vegan mayo on one side of each slice of sourdough, next spread the onion jam, top with shredded kale, add half the sliced nut roast, drizzle with parsley pesto, and top with another slice of sourdough. Repeat this process to make two perfect sandwiches.
Test Kitchen Tip: If you eat dairy, you can add 1 tbsp of freshly grated Parmesan to the pesto, use cheddar or mozzarella on the nut loaf slices, and regular mayo when assembling your sambo.
Per serving: 928kcals, 67.3g fat (9g saturated), 77.1g carbs, 31.8g sugars, 17.1g protein, 11.3g fibre, 0.719g sodium