For the lamb koftas:
800g lamb mince
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp salt
2½ tsp ground sumac
2 tsp ground cumin, plus extra to sprinkle
1½ tsp dried chilli flakes
1½ tsp smoked paprika, plus extra to sprinkle
For the sandwiches:
Fresh parsley, stems removed
Red onion, thinly sliced
Kalamata olives, pitted
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the lamb koftas. Use clean hands to mix until just combined.
- Roll the mixture into small balls about 3cm in diameter. Flatten gently into patties and arrange them about 2cm apart on a large baking tray. Use two baking trays if necessary to avoid over-crowding.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the koftas are completely cooked throughout.
- In a small bowl, combine half a teaspoon each of sumac, cumin, chilli flakes and smoked paprika. When the kofta patties are fully baked, remove from the oven and sprinkle the spice mixture over the top.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread a generous amount of hummus spread on each flatbread, then top with rocket and parsley.
- Add 2-3 koftas and your choice of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and olives.
Note: pitta breads can be used as an alternative to flatbreads, if you wish.
568kcals, 25.4g fat (11.3g saturated), 47.6g carbs, 5.3g sugars, 35g protein, 7g fibre, 0.581g sodium
For a quicker meal, assemble these sandwiches using leftover roast lamb and sprinkle lightly with the mixture of sumac, cumin and smoked paprika.