For the pastry:
220g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
100g cold butter, plus extra, melted for brushing
Pinch of salt
2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
½ a red and ½ a yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
½ a punnet of cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 400g tin of good-quality chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ tsp brown sugar
Small handful of fresh basil leaves
100g feta, crumbled (or more if you like)
Salt and black pepper
- Place the plain flour in a large bowl. Using a box grater on the largest side, grate the butter in. Rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in a pinch of salt, then add 2-3 tablespoons of cold water – just enough to bring the mixture together into a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Brush six 10cm tartlet tins with melted butter and dust with flour, shaking out any excess.
- Roll out your pastry, divide into six portions and line the tartlet cases. Place a small square of parchment paper in each one and then fill with baking beans.
- Bake for eight minutes, then remove the parchment paper and beans and return to the oven for five minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the red onion for 3-4 minutes, then add the peppers, cherry tomatoes and garlic. Cook for 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar and cook for one minute. Stir in the tin of chopped tomatoes. Cook for five minutes over a high heat, allowing the liquid from the tomatoes to reduce and the mixture to thicken. Remove from the heat. Allow to cool to room temperature, then tear in the basil leaves and season with salt and pepper, tasting and adjusting if needed.
- Spoon the tomato mixture into the prepared tartlet cases and top with the feta. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the filling is hot throughout and the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with more basil leaves and some pesto and serve.
Per serving: 373kcals, 22.3g fat (11.8g saturated), 33.7g carbs (4.4g sugars), 7.1g protein, 1.9g fibre, 0.447g sodium