2.8kg tomatoes on the vine
8 garlic cloves, whole and unpeeled
120ml olive oil
Salt and black pepper
2 large onions, roughly chopped
Large handful of basil
950ml chicken or vegetable stock
240ml double cream
For the croutons:
Four slices of good-quality white bread
1 x 250g ball of fresh Mozzarella
80g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/ gas mark 6.
- Place the tomatoes and garlic on a rimmed baking tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, then remove and let cool.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves from their skins into the pot. Remove the stems and vines and add the tomatoes to the pot with all of the juices from the baking tray. Add the basil.
- Add the chicken stock. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Use a stick blender to purée until completely smooth. Stir in the double cream and season to taste.
- Heat a panini grill or a griddle pan. Place the slices of bread on a cutting board and brush lightly with the melted butter, being sure to butter the corners. Turn two of the slices over and pile Mozzarella on top. Drizzle the Mozzarella with basil pesto and place the remaining two slices of bread on top of the cheese, butter-side up.
- Cook the sandwiches until golden brown on both sides. Place on a cutting board, allow to rest for one minute and cut into 2cm cubes. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the croutons and garnish with a few fresh basil leaves.
Per serving: 430kcals, 37.1g fat (17.3g saturated), 17.5g carbs, 8.8g sugar, 11.2g protein, 4g fibre, 0.603g sodium