450g plain flour
650g granulated sugar
155g cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 large eggs
350ml warm water
115ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing:
300g unsalted butter, at room temperature
220g cream cheese, at room temperature
120g cocoa powder
3 tsp vanilla extract
800g icing sugar, sifted
60ml milk (or as needed)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease three 23cm round cake tins and line with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Divide the batter among the three prepared tins and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave the cakes to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat the butter and cream cheese for the icing until fluffy. Add the cocoa and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Gradually beat in the icing sugar until incorporated. Add a splash of milk to make the icing a spreadable consistency.
- Spread some of the icing over one of the cakes, then sandwich another sponge on top. Repeat this again, then spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cake. Decorate with chocolate chips.
Per Serving 760kcals, 30.7g fat (15.9g saturated), 123.3g carbs (91.5g sugars), 9.7g protein, 5.9g fibre, 0.349g sodium