Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the coleslaw:
For the aioli:
For the tempura prawns:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, tapioca starch, salt and pepper. Toss all the prawns into the flour mixture and mix well. Place in the fridge for three hours.
- For the coleslaw, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine well. Set aside.
- For the aioli, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and whizz until blended. Set aside.
- Add the sparkling water to the floured prawns and stir well to combine into a thick batter.
- Meanwhile, add about 6cm of oil into a cast iron casserole or a deep stainless steel saucepan. Place over a medium-high heat.
- When ready, give the batter and prawns a stir. Lift out the prawns one by one, allowing any excess batter to drip back into the bowl, and add to the hot oil. Cook in batches of 5-6 prawns for about three minutes, then keep warm in a low oven while you fry the rest.
- Lift out using a slotted spoon and transfer to a heat-proof dish. Sprinkle a little salt over each batch while hot. Continue to cook in small batches until all are fried.
- To assemble the sandwiches, lightly toast the bread and spread with some aioli. Add some coleslaw and prawns, then top with the other slices of bread.
- Press down gently and slice in half, then serve with extra aioli on the side.
Gluten-free rolls can be used as an alternative to gluten-free bread (of your choice), if you wish.
Tapioca flour can be used as an alternative to arrowroot flour, if you wish.
Per serving: 883kcals, 39.9g fat (7.3g saturated), 107.7 g carbs, 7.1g sugars, 20.8g protein, 8g fibre, 1.716g sodium
Popular in Fish & seafood
Cod nuggets and wedges