Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Scatter the sugar over the base of a 20cm ovenproof frying pan and place it over a medium heat.
- Stir in the butter, cooking until the mixture turns a golden caramel colour. Carefully add the apple to the pan with tongs (be careful not to touch the caramel as it will be extremely hot).
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the apples are browned and the sauce has thickened, swirling the pan occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6.
- Trim the pastry sheets so that they are slightly larger than the pan.
- When the sauce has cooled slightly, use the tongs to carefully arrange the apples in a decorative pattern in the pan, flat-sides down.
- Drape one of the pastry sheets over the apples, carefully tucking the edges down inside the pan (use a spoon to help with this). Repeat with the second pastry sheet.
- Prick the pastry a few times with a fork, then bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Leave to cool for five minutes, then use a knife to loosen the tarte edges from the pan. Place a large serving dish over the pan. Using tea towels to protect your hands and to keep the dish and pan firmly together, quickly invert the tart onto the dish. Carefully lift off the pan; the tarte should be left on the serving dish. Serve warm with salted caramel ice cream.
Per serving 690kcals, 36.9g fat (13.1g saturated), 90g carbs (47.8g sugars), 6g protein, 9.3g fibre, 0.246g sodium
Freezer-friendlySweet thingsSpecial OccasionsFrenchPastryCuisinesBakingFruit dessertsDinner partyVegetarian
Popular in French