2 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
½ tsp dried tarragon
2 chicken fillets
80ml vermouth or white wine
Salt and black pepper
1 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped, plus extra to serve
- Choose a pan which has a lid and in which the chicken fillets will fit snugly. Heat the oil in the pan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, spring onions and dried tarragon and cook for one minute, stirring.
- Add the chicken fillets to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes. If the spring onions and garlic look like they’re beginning to burn, scrape them from the pan and place them on top of the chicken.
- Turn over the fillets and add the vermouth or wine. Allow to bubble, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and black pepper, then put the lid on, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Check that the chicken is cooked through by making a small cut into the thickest part. The meat should be white and the juices should run clear. If it is not thoroughly cooked, simmer for 2-3 minutes longer and check again. Remove the chicken to a plate and tent loosely with tin foil.
- Bring the remaining liquid to a boil, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the cream and stir well, then sprinkle in the fresh tarragon. Taste and season with more salt and black pepper if needed.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with a little extra fresh tarragon. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.
Per Serving 368kcals, 17.5g fat (5.1g saturated), 6.2g carbs, 1.5g sugars, 40.3g protein, 0.9g fibre, 0.214g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS
The alcohol in this recipe will burn off during cooking, making the dish suitable for children. If you’d still rather cook without booze, simply substitute it for chicken stock
This very versatile protein is the easiest to flavour, due to its mild taste; try lemon, cheese, ham, garlic, peanuts, butter, thyme, tomato, white wine, pesto, ginger, chillies, coriander, avocado… chicken is so adaptable that the list is endless