Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the pastry:
For the pastry cream:
- Rub the butter into the flour using your fingers until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the sugar and stir to combine. Add the egg yolk and water. Stir with a butter knife until the pastry comes together. Shape into a disc, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm round springform tin. Trim the pastry to come about 3cm up the sides. Prick the base all over with a fork, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 170°C fan/gas mark 5.
- Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans or uncooked rice. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pastry case from the oven and brush the inside with beaten egg white. Return to the oven for three minutes. Allow to cool in the tin.
- For the pastry cream, bring the milk to a boil in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk the yolks, sugar and cornflour together until thick and pale. Whisking all the while, very slowly drizzle a quarter of the hot milk onto the yolks. Then, still whisking, pour in the rest of the liquid in a steady stream.
- Put the pan over medium heat and, whisking vigorously, bring the mixture to the boil. Keep the mixture at a boil, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and scrape the pastry cream into a clean bowl. Allow to cool slightly for two minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract. Stir the butter into the hot pastry cream, continuing to stir until melted and incorporated.
- Press a piece of cling film against the surface of the cream to create an airtight seal and place the pastry cream into the fridge to chill thoroughly.
- Shortly before you are ready to serve the tart, spread the pastry cream into the baked pastry case and arrange the strawberries over the top.
Per serving: 381kcals, 21.3g fat (12.5g saturated), 43.4g carbs, 22.5g sugar, 6g protein, 2g fibre, 0.156g sodium
Popular in Mother’s Day
Smoked salmon & herby cream cheese bites by EUROSPAR