2 red onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 courgettes, chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 aubergine, chopped
4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
Salt and black pepper
1 bay leaf
4 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over a medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook for 5-6 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for one minute longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a large pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil and cook the courgette until slightly browned on all sides. Transfer to the pot with the onions and garlic.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and cook the peppers for 3-4 minutes. Add to the pot.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and cook the aubergine for 3-4 minutes. Add to the pot.
- Season everything with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaf and basil and cover the pot. Cook over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and parsley. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaf and season to taste. Serve with hunks of crusty bread and some mixed leaves.
244kcals, 15g fat (2.1g saturated), 27.8g carbs, 12.7g sugars, 5.4g protein, 9.7g fibre, 0.064g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
Add some tomato purée with the garlic for some extra flavour. This rataouille is delicious topped with some crumbled goat’s cheese.