For the sponge:
300g caster sugar
300g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
Zest of 1 lemon
3 tbsp milk
For the filling:
500g mascarpone, at room temperature
200g lemon curd
200g fresh mixed berries (blackberries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries), plus extra for topping
Mint leaves Lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/ gas mark 4. Line three 20cm tins with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and milk until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow the sponges to cool completely.
- For the filling, use a spatula to soften the mascarpone. Add 50g of the lemon curd and stir through to combine.
- To assemble the cake, place the first sponge layer on a cake stand or serving plate.
- Spread over some of the mascarpone, drizzle some lemon curd over top and add some mixed berries. Place the next sponge on top. Continue to stack and fill each of the sponges in this order.
- Top the final sponge with more mascarpone and fresh berries. Add some small mint leaves and some lemon zest. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
Per Serving 984kcals, 73.3g fat (41g saturated), 77.4g carbs (46.3g sugars), 14.9g protein, 1.8g fibre, 0.385g sodium