Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the meringue:
For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 110 ̊C/90 ̊C fan/ gas mark 1⁄4. Line two large baking trays with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they begin to form soft peaks. Whisking constantly, add one tablespoon of sugar at a time, continuing to add until all of the sugar has been incorporated.
- Add the cream of tartar and the food colouring. Keep whisking for 10 minutes until the meringue is glossy and very stiff.
- Use a star-shaped nozzle to pipe small swirls of meringue onto the parchment paper.
- Bake for 80-90 minutes or until set. Turn off the oven, prop the door a little open with the handle of a wooden spoon and allow the meringues to cool in the oven.
- Meanwhile, combine the strawberries and caster sugar in a pot. Cook on a medium heat until the strawberries become soft and syrupy, stirring continuously. Set aside and allow to cool fully.
- Strain the strawberries through a sieve and set the sauce aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Fold through half of the sieved strawberry mix. Put the cream into a piping bag with a small star-shaped nozzle.
- On the flat side of one meringue, pipe a swirl of the strawberry cream, then sandwich together using a second meringue. Continue with the remaining meringues.
- Before serving, drizzle over the remaining strawberry sauce.
Per Serving: 192kcals, 3.9g fat (2.4g saturated), 38g carbs (36g sugars), 3.5g protein, 0.3g fibre, 0.036g sodium
Popular in Low-fat
Gambas al ajillo