220ml double cream
310ml whole milk
75g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 croissants, halved horizontally
4 tbsp strawberry jam
150g strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 tbsp demerara sugar
100g chocolate chips (optional)
Cream or custard
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C/gas mark 3. Combine the double cream and milk in a pan and place over a medium heat until tiny bubbles begin to appear around the edge, then remove from the heat immediately.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add a splash of the hot cream mixture into the eggs and whisk well. Add half of the remaining cream mixture and whisk again to combine, then whisk in the remainder.
- Split the croissants in half and spread the cut sides with butter and jam. Sandwich the croissants back together, then place into a baking dish, overlapping them to fit snugly.
- Pour over all of the custard and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- Dot over all of the strawberries, then scatter over the chocolate chips, if using. Sprinkle the demerara sugar evenly over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the custard has set and the top is golden and crisp. Allow to sit for five minutes before serving.
Per serving:545kcals, 33.9g fat (19.7g saturated), 52.4g carbs (23.2g sugars), 9.1g protein, 1.7g fibre, 0.447g sodium