Makes 1 loaf
600g wholemeal flour
150g plain flour
15g sunflower seeds
2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
2½ tsp dark brown sugar
40g butter, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and line a standard 1kg loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Beat the flours, oats, seeds, bicarbonate of soda, salt, sugar and butter until it reaches a sandy texture.
- Add the milk, treacle and stout. Mix until it is just combined and forms a sticky dough.
- Pour into the prepared tin and make for 45-50 minutes. To ensure that it is cooked, carefully take the loaf out of the tin and tap the bottom of the bread. If it sounds hollow, it should be baked.
- Remove from the tin and wrap in a clean tea towel. When the bread is cool, serve as desired.
Per Serving 357kcals, 5.7g fat (2.4g saturated), 65.4g carbs, 17g sugars, 9.6g protein, 5.5g fibre, 0.398g sodium