Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the ham:
For the marmalade:
- Place the ham in a large pot. Pour in the orange juice, then add enough cold water to just cover the ham. Add the spices and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, skimming off any white foam from the surface as you do so. Simmer very gently for about 4 hours until the ham is cooked through. Add water if needed to ensure the ham is covered while simmering.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Place the oven rack at its lowest position. Remove the ham from the liquid and allow to cool slightly.
- To make the spiced marmalade, peel the zest off the oranges and lemons, leaving as much of the white pith as possible.
- Pile up the strips of zest and cut them into tiny slices.
- Juice all the dezested fruit, setting the juice aside. Roughly cut the juiced fruit pieces and add them to a large pot along with the pulp and seeds from the juicer. Add the whole spices and the water. Bring the pot to the boil, clamp the lid on, turn the heat down to medium low and allow to simmer for two hours.
- Pass the water through a fine mesh sieve, making sure you squeeze all the water from the pith. Discard and collected pith and pulp.
- In a very large pot, add the water from the pith, the fruit juice and the snipped up zest. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Add the jam sugar. Stir it to help the sugar dissolve and bring to a rolling boil. Let it boil for about 40 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the ham on a board and use a small sharp knife to strip off the skin, leaving an even layer of fat. Score the fat in a diamond pattern, being careful not to cut into the meat. Stud the intersections with cloves.
- Place the ham in a foil lined roasting tin and thickly brush all over with the marmalade. Leaving aside approximately four tablespoons of glaze.
- Bake for 45 minutes, brushing with extra marmalade every 15 minutes or so.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a platter and tent loosely with foil. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Per serving: 189 kcals, 5.4g fat (0g saturated), 17.1g carbs (16.5g sugars), 18.1g protein, 0.2g fibre, 0.01g sodium.
Popular in Christmas
Rum & pistachio chocolate fudge