Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the glaze:
- Place the ham in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add the treacle, spices and orange zest. Bring slowly to a boil, skimming off any white foam from the surface. Simmer very gently for about two hours until cooked throughout.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Place the oven rack at its lowest position. Remove the ham from its liquid and allow to cool slightly. Place in a roasting pan and use a small sharp knife to strip off the skin. Score the fat in a diamond pattern, being careful not to cut into the meat. Stud the intersections with cloves.
- In a bowl, mix together the glaze ingredients and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Pour the glaze over the ham.
- Bake the ham for 40-45 minutes until golden brown; every 20 minutes, baste the ham with the glaze and sprinkle with a little brown sugar.
- Turn the heat up to 220˚C/200˚C/gas mark 6 and cook for a final 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Per Serving 679kcals, 25.2g fat (0g saturated), 27.2g carbs, 24.3g sugars, 83.5g protein, 0g fibre, 0.022g sodium
For more extraordinary ham glazes including sticky orange and cola click here.
For more ham roasting tips, glazes and recipes click here.
IrishDairy-freeChristmasDinnerEasterLow-fatSpecial OccasionsHigh-proteinFamily mealsCuisinesFree-fromSunday roastDinner partyComfort foodMake it Healthy
Popular in Irish
Lemon sole with dillisk butter