For the cake:
200g dates, pitted
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1⁄8 tsp salt
60g butter, softened
180g dark brown sugar
170g self-raising flour
100g cashews, chopped
For the cashew toffee sauce:
100ml double cream
75g dark brown sugar
50g cashews, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine the dates and the water. Bring to the boil and cook for five minutes, then stir in the bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the date purée and mix until smooth.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in. Gently fold in the cashews.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 20 minutes, then use a skewer to poke multiple holes into the top of the cake.
- For the toffee sauce, combine the double cream, dark brown sugar and butter in a saucepan. Allow the butter to melt over a medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly dark in colour. Fold in the cashews.
- Spoon the toffee sauce over the top of the cake just before serving.
Per serving: 428kcals, 20.7g fat (9.7g saturated), 58.3g carbs (38.3g sugars), 6g protein, 2.5g fibre, 0.216g sodium