For the slaw:
½ a head of red cabbage, shredded
½ a head of white cabbage, shredded
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño, very finely chopped
Large handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
60ml olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp honey
For the chicken:
200ml hot sauce of choice (we used Frank’s Buffalo sauce) Salt and black pepper
4 chicken fillets
200g plain flour
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Vegetable oil, for cooking
For the honey mayo:
3 tbsp honey
Salt and black pepper
4 burger buns of your choice
- For the slaw, place the shredded cabbage in a large bowl and add the spring onions, jalapeño and coriander.
- In a jug, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and honey. Pour over the slaw and toss well to coat. Season to taste. Set aside for the flavours to combine.
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, hot sauce and three tablespoons of salt. Whisk for two minutes to dissolve the salt. Add the chicken fillets, cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the honey mayo and season to taste. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place the flour in a wide, shallow bowl and add the paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and one teaspoon each of salt and black pepper.
- Heat 3-4cm of vegetable oil in a deep pan over a high heat. It’s hot enough when a pinch of flour dropped into the oil sizzles on impact.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk brine, shaking off any excess, and toss to coat in the flour mixture. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side until completely cooked through, reducing the heat slightly if necessary. Transfer the fried chicken to a plate and allow to rest for five minutes.
- To serve, spread the burger buns thickly with honey mayo. On each bottom bun, place a fried chicken fillet, some slaw and sliced pickles. Sandwich together and serve immediately.
Per Serving: 832kcals, 41.5g fat (7.4g saturated), 67.7g carbs (11.2g sugars), 42.9g protein, 4.5g fibre, 1.396g sodium