2 onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp dried coriander
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken thighs and 4 drumsticks
400g cooked basmati rice Handful of fresh dill, chopped
Natural yoghurt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6.
- Put the onions and garlic in a baking dish that will fit the chicken pieces quite snugly, with just a little space in between.
- Drizzle with the oil and add the turmeric, cumin seeds, cinnamon, coriander, lemon juice and some salt and black pepper. Stir to combine well. Place the chicken pieces and season generously. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces and stir the rice and dill into the spiced onions.
- Place the chicken back on top and return to the oven for 10 minutes longer or until the rice is flavoursome and the chicken is completely cooked throughout. Serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt, if desired.
Per Serving: 631kcals, 23.6g fat (6g saturated), 51.2g carbs (2.9g sugars), 55.9g protein, 4.5g fibre, 0.221g sodium