Makes 1 loaf
Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C fan/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the raisins and whiskey and allow to soak until the raisins have absorbed most of the liquid.
- In a bowl, sieve together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt. Add the butter and rub into the dry incredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Drain off the raisins, reserving any remaining whiskey. Stir the raisins into the mix.
- In a jug, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Stir into the mix to form a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and gently knead, just enough to bring the dough together.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking tray and shape into a round. Using a knife, slash a cross into the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. The bread is ready when tapping the bottom gives a hollow sound. Serve with orange marmalade.
Per Serving 241kcals, 3.2g fat (1.6g saturated), 43.7g carbs (7.3g sugars), 6.4g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.191g sodium
IrishBreakfast & BrunchLow-fatSpecial OccasionsBreadSt. Patrick’s DayCuisinesAfternoon teaBakingMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Irish
Irish coffee affogato by EUROSPAR