Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the base:
For the brownie filling:
For the topping:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a 20cm square baking tin with parchment paper, with excess hanging over the sides.
- Stir together the crushed biscuits, butter and brown sugar until combined. Press into the bottom of the tray so it forms an even layer. Bake for 8-10 minutes until just browned. Set aside and leave to cool.
- Combine the cubed butter and chopped chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water). Stir until melted, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the sugar and vanilla, then beat in the eggs until smooth.
- Stir in the flour until just incorporated.
- Pour over the biscuit base and smooth the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are just set and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out mostly clean. Leave to cool completely.
- Beat the egg whites and sugar with an electric whisk in a clean, dry mixing bowl until combined, then place the mixing bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Continue whisking until the sugar has completely dissolved; this also cooks the egg whites.
- Remove from heat and add the cream of tartar and vanilla. Beat for about five minutes on high speed until the mixture is thick and marshmallow-like.
- Remove the brownie and biscuit base from the tin and spread the meringue over the top. Place under the grill for a minute to brown the top, then slice into bars to serve.
Per serving: 478kcals, 27.3g fat (14.7g saturated), 55.3g carbs, 41.9g sugars, 4.9g protein, 0.8g fibre, 0.276g sodium
Popular in Brownies
Caramel cornflake crunch brownies