Butter, for greasing
900g potatoes, peeled and sliced around ½cm thick
3 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp black pepper
200g smoked salmon
- Preheat the oven to 180C˚/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a shallow baking dish with butter and place on a baking tray.
- Use some kitchen paper to pat some of the moisture off the potato slices, then put them in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine the cream, garlic, nutmeg and pepper and heat over a medium-high heat until the small bubbles begin to form around the edges.
- Pour the cream mixture over the potato slices. Mix thoroughly so all the slices are covered in the cream.
- Put a third of the potato slices in an even layer in the bottom of the buttered dish. Cover with half the smoked salmon.
- Make a second layer of potato with another third of the potato slices. Cover with the remaining smoked salmon.
- Arrange the remaining potato slices on top of the smoked salmon. Pour the remaining cream over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through and the top of the dauphinoise is golden and bubbling. Allow to rest for five minutes, then slice and serve.
Per serving: 350kcals, 15.3g fat (8.6g saturated), 40.1g carbs, 5.1g sugars, 14.1g protein, 5.6g fibre, 1.097g sodium
Try adding layers of leeks softened in a little butter!